The Biogas Support Program (BSP) supports the adoption of biogas applications in Nepalese households. Biodigesters displace firewood and fossil fuels with biogas from animal waste and human excreta. Finding alternatives for firewood is important in Nepal, which has a high deforestation rate.
The BSP has a range of sustainable development benefits which are fully attributable to the PoA:
- Improved living conditions in and around the households due to a significant reduction of smoke and fumes from cooking.
- Reduced deforestation, avoiding loss of biodiversity and soil erosion Reduced time spent on fuel collection
- Improved sanitary conditions in and around the house, in particular when connecting the toilet to the digester
- Improved safety (less fire incidents)
- Demonstration of a successful program at household level with serious potential for development in other countries.
Shifting Paradigms registered two small-scale portfolios of biodigesters in Nepal under the Clean Development Mechanism, in an assignment with Climate Focus.
Client: World Bank
Partners: Climate Focus, Alternative Energy Promotion Centre